Roofing damages, when uncovered, tend to be highly inconvenient problems to deal with. Smart homeowners will do their best to resolve these problems as quickly as they can—smarter homeowners, however, will seek to discover the source of problems so that they can be prevented in the future. Take a look at five of the most common causers of damage to your roofing in Ambler, PA and see if any of these culprits are responsible for current or former damage to your roof:
- Weather and weathering: Between the sun, the wind, the rain and the snow, the elements are the number one causer of damages to your roof and they actively work against you year round. There’s really nothing to be done to protect your roof against these damagers except for maintaining it routinely and ensuring that it’s kept in good condition. In Ambler we tend to see very harsh winters and some scorching summers, so the sun and the snow are going to be major concerns for any homeowner.
- Trees: Trees might look nice on your property, but if they’re too close to your home or have overhanging branches that impede onto your roof, you can bet that at some point in time you’re going to see roofing damages as a result of that tree. Falling branches cause the most damage, but even the gentle scraping of an overhanging branch for weeks and months can cause damage quicker than you’d expect.
- Critters: Squirrels, mice, raccoons and other small mammals often like to make nests around homes and unfortunately, this often means a lot of activity on your roof. Between the nesting tendencies of these animals and the destructiveness of their activities in their habitats, your roof can quickly take a beating. Over time, the presence of animals on your roof is going to show and eventually, damages will be compounded to cause serious issue for your home.
- Natural growths: Moss and lichens are eager to take hold on your roof so long as they’re given the opportunity to. Generally your roof is protected from these growths by the materials that are used to construct it, however if they become compromised, natural growths can quickly plague a roof. Time can also wear down your roof, allowing these materials to grow at will, so re-roofing is a must before they start.
- You: That’s right, one of the main causes of damage to your roof is likely you! If you find yourself on your roof doing who knows what, you might actually be causing damage without realizing it. All it takes is one wrong footing to kick a shingle or two loose and you’ve got major problems taking shape, all because of your own uncertainty on your roof. The best advice we can give is to stay off of it and leave any roofing items to a professional!
So there you have it, the five biggest causers of damage to your roofing in Ambler, PA. Keep an eye out for these things and familiarize yourself on how damages can be prevented and you’ll be well on your way to keeping your roof in great condition for longer.